Re: option re pachy head banging

>All of which basically begs the question:How long have we had fruit trees?
>Or, more broadly, how does the development and increases in complexity and
>specialization of plant life compare to animal life in terms of time?
>Faster than, slower, about the same?---or are these(no pun intended)
>apples and oranges?

Steve et al -

        Fruits, being the products of angiosperm plants, didn't evolve
until sometime around the mid-Cretaceous (Aptian -ish).  In the Late
Cretaceous, we almost certainly have fruits -- in fact, Dinamation's Late K
site in Mexico produces lots of fossilized fruits.  Prior to that, there
weren't any fruits per se, although pteridosperms (seed ferns) had naked
seeds hanging loose (in a manner of speaking) on the branches; cycadophytes
(both cycads and bennettitales) also produced large flowery "cones".
Ginkgos were around and likewise had large naked seeds, as did the
primitive gymnosperms.  None of these were "fruits," though.

Jerry D. Harris
Schuler Museum of Paleontology
Southern Methodist University
jdharris@lust.isem.smu.edu