geochronology countdown

The 6000th anniversary of an event that happened in 4004 B.C. won't be
until 1997, because there was no Year Zero between B.C. and A.D.

Darren Naish was spreading disinformation when he claimed that the
Isle of Wight is pronounced "izlee of wigget."  For the correct
pronunciation, listen to "When I'm 64" on the Beatles' "Sergeant Pepper's
Lonely Hearts Club Band" album ("we can rent a cabin in the Isle of
Wight, if it's not too dear").  At least that the official Liverpool
pronunciation.  For correct pronunciations of dinosaurs found on the
Isle of Wight, play the same song backwards.  (This doesn't work
with the tape cassette.)

The encyclopedia article on Chicxulub says the place is much visited
by people from the capital of Yucatan in the summer, because of its
pretty beach.  65 mya...all the torosaurs of Yucatan enjoying a day at
the beach when they're hit by a giant moon pie from the Kuiper belt.
Maybe the broken-off horn is of a Torosaurus.

George Pesely        peselyg@lynx.apsu.edu