French sauropod

> Speaking of the French, I heard this morning that there was an
> article in a Sunday paper stating that a new 60 foot long sauropod
> had been discovered there.  Anyone know any more?
>
> Neil

The new sauropod is Ampelosaurus ("vineyard reptile") and it comes
from southern France (Esperaza). I had read in a French magazine a
couple of years back that it was a titanosaurid, but I don't know if
this taxonomic assignment still holds. The bones of this animal have
been known for several years, and the name Ampelosaurus had been
floating in the air for at least the past three years. It has now
been formally described, so check the upcoming literature for a
paper by, most probably, Buffetaut and his gang.

Michel Chartier