Forwarded message:
Sender: dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu
To:     dinosaur@lepomis.psych.upenn.edu (Multiple recipients of list)
Date: 95-07-28 11:56:46 EDT

> In other words, in the long term, the planet will be ok, but in the
> short term, *we* may not be.  It isn't about saving the planet; it's
> about saving ourselves.

Which is really the point isn't it? Asteroids, drastic climatic changes,
Volcanism, the wrath of an angry god, whatever you want to put it down
to, it all becomes Yet Another Test of Just How Fit You Are. If you have
brains enough to propagate elsewhere (as in off-planet) you win. If you
don't, you risk a very good likelihood that 100my from now, the "next
in line" will be arguing over how to mount OUR skulls and why WE disappeared
so suddenly. I'm not trying to present this as New Age Galactic Peace Agent
mysticism, just common sense. You stand up under a tree in a lightning storm
long enough you have to expect to get hit. Unfortunately, I don't think we
as a race really care all that much.....

-----Steve