New Dino Books

Two interesting books came across my desk during the past week, courtesy of
dino-pal Tracy Ford:

Colbert, Edwin Harris, 1995. THE LITTLE DINOSAURS OF GHOST RANCH, New York:
Columbia University Press, xii + 250 pp., $29.95.

[Don't let the title fool you; this is NOT a kiddie book. It is a detailed,
nontechnical, historical summary in Colbert's own words of his work on the
Ghost Ranch theropods: a major work for the interested amateur and
professional dinosaurologist alike. I recommend it without reservation.
Interestingly, however, the current controversy over the correct name of the
Ghost Ranch theropod genus is not mentioned, nor does the name
Rioarribasaurus appear anywhere in the text that I can find. As far as
Colbert is concerned, the Ghost Ranch theropod is, was, and always will be
Coelophysis bauri.]

Lockey, Martin & Hunt, Adrian, 1995. DINOSAUR TRACKS AND OTHER FOSSIL
FOOTPRINTS OF THE WESTERN UNITED STATES, New York: Columbia University Press,
xx + 338 pp., $35.

[This is a detailed treatment of fossil footprints of all kinds, mainly
dinosaurs but including also pterosaurs, paleo mammals, and so forth. As
above, I recommend it without reservation.]