Nessie

Forwarded from the forteana mailing list after cross-posting. TWC

Subject: Nessie
Author:  forteana@primenet.com at smtp
Date:    23/7/1995 9:10 AM

Well Bill,

I believe that there is definitely something there.  Plesiosaur? NO!
Dinosaur? NO! NO! NO!

Fish? Seal? Otter? YES!.....perhaps.  I have not seen any evidence to
suggest that there is an outrageously large animal in the loch.  If
it were a fish rather than a mammal (or reptile), that would explain
the lack of sightings.  If it were a land mammal, that too would
explain the small number of sightings.  I think that the sightings
that are made are due to a variety of causes.  I don't believe that
you can pin all of the sightings to one source animal as many appear
to be doing.  The 'monster' beliefs arise from the attempt to do just
that.  Trying to imagine what sort of animal could cause all the
different types of sightings.  I would like to say that I can pass
all sightings to particular animals or plain hallucination, but I
can't.  I am not a marine/fresh water zoologist, but I think that I
can safely stick my head on the block and say that there is no way
a plesiosaur, or a dinosaur, lives in Loch Ness.  There I've said it,
and will probably be damned by the Scottish tourist board now.

Neil

Neil,
Some of the various monster sightings in the world have made me
wonder whether there may be caverns where these creatures live. IOW,
Nessie doesn't actually spend most of its time in the Loch. It spends
most of its time elsewhere and from time to time wonders into the
Loch.

 Has any R&D been done in this regard?
Another thing which intrigues me is that the geographical location of
*MANY* strange creatures seems fixed - permanently so - for hundreds
of years. People continue to have sightings decades apart. Therefore
the creature seems to live in that area some/all of the time. In
William Corliss's Science Frontiers I've come across references to
wind blowing out of wells and blow-holes being made in the snow by
winds coming from inside the Earth.  This is pretty much the same as
Lord Lytton's "The Coming Race" (1871) wherein he talks of seeing
dinosaur type creatures deep in a mine and that he couldn't believe
it, but the wind blew down there as normally as it did on the
surface.

So I wonder if perhaps many/most of the strange creatures which keep
recurring, but which we can't find when we chase after them - whether
they exist in subteranean caves.  Of course how they exist without
light is another issue. Though the Soviets did find bacteria up to 12
miles down at the Kola Peninsula - which is far deeper than anyone ever
expected. They also found fossils deeper than anyone had ever expected.

Cheers,
       Jan...

* Hell was full so I came back...