Re: Re: Creation/Evolution

>>> This weekend on CNN they found fossilized remains of creatures that
>>> lived well before plant life was known to exist.
>>
>>What sort of creatures?  Single-celled organisms?  Mats of bacteria?
>>Yes, these existed long before there were plants.  Are you surprised?
>
>One was described as a 6ft. scorpion.  And some other shelled creatures.
>'Theory' coming out of there is that they ate each other in order to survive.
>But that's what CNN said.  Wish I knew more, just a matter of e-mail I
>suppose.

I think what the folks at CNN were trying to say is evidence of
multicellular animals on land before the presence of multicellular plants on
land, something which early Paleozoic paleontologists have recognized for
quite some time (some Climactichnites tracks in the Cambrian may be
subarial).  Of course, single celled "plants" (actually, algae) have existed
on the shores of the Earth for billions of years, as evidenced by
stromatalites and similar biogenic structures.

All this means is a) the earliest animals to venture on to land were eating
algae and each other, before going back to the water and b) there is no bit
of science simple enough that cannot be portrayed incorrectly by the media.

>>> Darwins theory is still theory.
>
>>In science, a "theory" means a fundamental principle with wide
>>application and predictive value.  It is not a synonym for "idea",
>>"hypothesis", or "guess."
>
>Yes, and they continue to predict within Darwins Theory.  Everything fits
>nicely into evolution, but that's wrong.  The fossil record shows it, and the
>molecular evidence shows it.  Not entirely, but there are some pretty big
gaps
>to fill.  We should see a lot more in-between species in at least the fossil
>record and we do not.

[I guess it was only a matter of time. *Sigh*  Glad I got my Darwin Fish on
my car this weekend...]

Okay - no transitionals you say?  Name five significant gaps in the record
as you see it.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology