Re: Extinction-off topic

On Jul 30,  9:49, GSP1954@aol.com wrote:
} Subject: Re: Extinction-off topic
> To continue on the
>
> subject of human induced versus "natural" extinctions.
>
> Natural and artifical are useful descriptive terms to sort out what made wh
> at, but humans are natural and all we do is therefore natural. No two ways
> about it.

Once again, if everything is natural, then the word "natural" has no
meaning.  What *isn't* natural?  If nothing isn't natural, then stop
using the word; it tells us nothing.  As near as I can tell, it's been
used in this discussion solely for its emotional value, for the
implication that "natural" events should not be interfered with.

Never mind that such human interference is by the same definition
"natural".  You can't have it both ways...

> To bring this back to dinos some, the Permo-Triassic and K/T extinctions were
> far worse than what humans have done. All land animals over ~50 kg died off
> 65 Myr(!) years ago. many still live today. Again, human effects on the
> environment are small potatos compared to
> natural effects, so spare us the tale that we have ruined the planet.

You're right.  We haven't ruined the planet - yet!  But think of the
timescale again.  Think of how much damage has been done in the last
500 years, and think of how much of *that* damage was done in the last
hundred.

If we can't learn from our mistakes and change our course, if we can't
choose another way, it may well wind up being as bad as a once-in-a-
hundred-million-years event.  No amount of arguing about the limits of
the ability to choose will change this.

> humans in space is the evolutionary equivalent of fish coming onto land in
> fishbowls with wheels. Man in space is so impractical it will never happen. A
> complete evolutionary transformation is required, and it will be in the form
> of intelligent robots.
>
> Cannot overemphasize to you all that the future is not a concern of humans as
> we know ourselves! Wi
> Ithin a hundred years there will probably be few or no people because we will
> have replaced ourselves with
> our cybertechnologies, just as H erectus has been replaced by H sapiens.

Maybe.   But the biotechnologies are just starting now.  Who knows
how a hundred years of biotech will change our civilization?

--
Bob Myers                         Unocal Tech. & Ops./I. S. Support
Internet: Bob.Myers@st.unocal.com P. O. Box 68076