Re: Dino Feathers

>Speaking of the morphology of the manus, can anyone report either a bird or a
>dromaeosaur in which the fingers are preserved curled (flexed)?  I have never
>seen a specimen that was not fully extended (but I don't have great access,
>either).  Could it be that these dinosaurs had "stiff" fingers?

On morphological grounds, I'd have to say that they did not have stiff
fingers, at least with regards to flexion and extension. The phalangeal and
metacarpal joint surfaces were quite well developed, and the hand of
Ornitholestes (which is similar to the two of them) was preserved flexed.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland