Ancient Fission Meltdown in Africa

>In a message dated 95-07-29 13:09:08 EDT, Flyinggoat@aol.com writes:
>
>>Just recently on Sci.Geology there
>>was some discussion of a naturally occuring nuclear reaction that
>>erupted
>> many millions of years ago in the Sahara. (I wasn't paying enough
>>attention
>>to actually remember the date).   It very likeley wiped out a number
>>of local
>>species.
>
>Yes, well you sound like you are describing a nuclear explosion.  If you are,
>frankly I don't see any way this could have possibly happened.  Any nuclear
>detonation likely to occur on earth requires substantial quantities of highly
>refined materials and would necessarily be unnatural since someone would have
>to do the refining.  Perhaps these people were suggesting that a flying
>saucer exploded in the Sahara, or perhaps a dinosaurian intelligence achieved
>command of the atomic nucleus, since these are about the only ways you are
>going to get a nuclear explosion there before the rise of man.

[Wishing I was writing from my office, where my refs are...]
It actually IS a prehistoric nuclear explosion (or acutally a fission
meltdown), but I thought it was further south in Africa.  From what I recall,
it is belived to have formed during natural ore formation: eventually, enough
uranium ore was concentrated in a small enough space that it went critical.

This is a very well documented site, and just goes to show that Mater Natura
can be just as nasty as we can.

I'll try to get the refs, but hopefully someone will post them first.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Dept. of Geology
University of Maryland