dino enthusiasm

Well let's get down to business all you young types.  I'm 57 and when I got
into dinos there were no Bakkers no Horners and no general audience
literature.  What there were was these huge monsters in our museums that
turned on a large population from my pre-dino enthusists peers.  And you
know its still the bones that do it for me.  I am against too much
subjective interpretations in museums because they might well be wrong
(that's a sure thing), kids and adults confuse dino reproductions with other
hollywood monsters and don't really believe these things are different.  The
bones pull you right in there as these things are real and my aren't they
marvelous.

There is so much subjective intrepretation in dino paleotonlogy today that
we start thinking that it is all real.  Ever watch paleoworld on dinos?
They keep stating things as fact that aren't really known and just someones
current opion (often Bakker's).  Books tend to be better but I don't think
that too many of the serious good general readership books are really read.
Therefore museums really should be at the forfront of trying to keep realism
and reflect fairly conserative ideas.  Its fine to accompany the displays
with other ideas. So maybe some of the "leaping lizards" should get a bit
closer to earth and maybe some of the colors shold have a lable warning
"this is only a wild ass guess" on them.  HMMMMMM

paul w. sparks  Psparks@cerfnet.com
"over the heather the wet wind blows
I've lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose."
anon