Re: K/T survivors

>Who is to say that birds did not have hibernation adaptations back at the
>K/T boundary?  We should not presume that birds back then (K/T) have
>similar behaviours as modern birds.

But we shouldn't presume, ad hoc, that they didn't, just so they will fit
into a certain picture of the K-T boundary extinction.  Since no modern
bird (that I can think of, except maybe very derived forms like penguins)
hibernate, we should be sceptical about such behavior in birds.  However,
since the closest living relatives of birds (crocs, lepidosaurs, turtles)
all have representatives that hibernate, it is possible that some early
birds did so as well.

                 Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.                  Phone: 703-648-5280
                 Vertebrate Paleontologist         Fax:    703-648-5420
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov ------------>       th81@umail.umd.edu
U.S. Geological Survey          ------------->       University of Maryland
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy ---->       Department of Geology
MS 970 National Center