Re: RoamingOrGrazingPacksOrHerds

On Thu, 1 Jun 1995 STEVEN9120@aol.com wrote:

> I was asked an interesting question today, and felt that I should check with
> my colleagues, on the list. Here it is: It has been described in some books,
> as well as seen on documentaries, that some dinosaurs such as the
> ceratopians, and other herbivorous dinosaurs like brachiosaurus, traveled in
> herds Is there any known      record of T-Rex traveling in a similar fashion

..no T.rex prints, but there is tracks attributed to Acrocanthosaurus
which may suggest a group moving together

> for food?

..no other tracks associated with them so pack activity can not be
demonstrated, but group hunting tactics are great especially if going
after large (sauropod) game.

> It has been said that the smaller carnivores like the raptors, did
> travel in packs     similar to the way wolves travel today.

..it hasn't been proven that "raptors" traveled in packs either, but it
would make a lot of sense to.

> But did the Rex also travel in   the same way? The way a pride of lions
> would?

> The second part of this question is: Who would have been the main
> source for the kill? The male or the female? And if they did travel in herds
> or packs why  are
> there so few recorded findings of these bones?

..pack activity is best demonstrated by footprints (ex. Palauxy River) and
sites of mass death (ex. Ghost Ranch Coelophysis, Alberta River Crossing
Centrosaurus)

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)