Re: hominid species

 From: FEUKAC@PLU.edu

 >  Could someone please tell me when the evolution of the genus _Homo_
 > first began. A reference would be helpful..

This is still being debated.  The earliest known specimens of
the genus Homo are dated to about 2 million years ago, or slightly
less.  Some workers, based on certain attempts at cladistic analysis,
maintain that Homo must have split off some time earlier than that.
[I am suspicious that these *particular* cladistic analyses are
based on some poor assumptions about intra-specific variation
and modes of character change].

So the answer is between 2 and 5 million years ago, depending on
who you ask.

The peace of God be with you.