Re: Virtual reality dinos (+

On Fri, 2 Jun 1995, paul sparks wrote:

[other text deleted]
> But what I was really trying to say is that if the real bones are used in
> the exhibit instead of casts then those bones are not readily available to
> the scientist.

Hello, all.

I have been told that this was taken into consideration during the recent
renovation project.  For example, when the T. Rex and the Apatosaurus
were remounted the armatures were designed so as to allow for the removal
of individual pieces of the specimen without having to disassemble the
entire exhibit (the armatures themselves are quite elegant).   Further,
the separate T. Rex head (as opposed to the mounted one) is displayed in
a case that can be easily opened as necessary for scientific study.
Lastly, the specimens are by and large encased in glass sarcophagi so
that they can remain on public display without endangering them to
incidental damage from the thousands of passersby that the Museum admits
daily.

If it is possible you should come and see the exhibits for yourself.
Personally, I think that the new exhibit manages to strike a very
successful balance between making the "real" specimens available for
viewing by the general public at the same time that they are preserved
and available for serious scientific study after-hours.

The new Ornithischian and Saurischian halls opened to the general public
today, Friday, June 2, 1995.  FYI.

Good day,

Robert

Banded9@haven.ios.com  | = || = |= = = =| = | ==== | = |= = = =| = || = |
Dinosaur Explainer with the|| = |= = = =| = |______| = |= = = =| = || = |
American Museum of Natural History = = =| =/  AMNH  \= |= = = =| = || = |
New York, New York     | = || = |= = = =|/  New York \ |= = = =| = || = |

Watch for the opening of the AMNH Web Site at http://www.amnh.org.

*** All opinions are those of the individual, not the institution. ***