Re: Extinction

>Although, as John David Stone points out, the word "dinosaur" is really
>derived from Greek, there is still much Latin in scientific naming, and
>I see no objection to telling Matt Wehman that "terrible bird" in Latin
>is "AVIS TERRIBILIS."  :-)

Just out of interest, why are modern animals named in Latin while dinosaurs
(and a few other groups I can think of) are named in greek. Is it a case of
living creatures in Latin, extinct in greek or is there some other rule, or
is it just the way it happened?

James Shields  -  jshields@iol.ie  -  http://www.iol.ie/~jshields
And when the ark was finished Noah said unto Elvis, "What do you reckin?"
And Elvis checked out his own cabin and shook his head saying "poky".
And so did they knock several walls through and install a jaccuzzi.
And when it was all done Noah scratched his beard and said, "We don't have
room for all the animals now."
And Elvis perused the livestock list and in his wisdom said, "Lose the
dinosaurs."
        -Robert Rankin, The Suburban Book of the Dead