Re: Parasaurolophus

>>Given that sort of a bimodal distribution of morphs in a *single*
>>species, the only reasonable conclusion is sexual dimorphism.
>>Under those circumstances, it is almost always the male that is
>>more gaudy - more display oriented.  Ergo, the large-crested forms
>>are males.

>Maybe.  But female cassowaries happen to have larger casques than males and
>to be larger and more brightly-coloured overall, so we can't claim that we
>know for sure what the story was in hadrosaurs.

Please forgive me if this has come up before, but how can we be sure that
the large-crested and small-crested forms are the same species?

James Shields  -  jshields@iol.ie  -  http://www.iol.ie/~jshields
And when the ark was finished Noah said unto Elvis, "What do you reckin?"
And Elvis checked out his own cabin and shook his head saying "poky".
And so did they knock several walls through and install a jaccuzzi.
And when it was all done Noah scratched his beard and said, "We don't have
room for all the animals now."
And Elvis perused the livestock list and in his wisdom said, "Lose the
dinosaurs."
        -Robert Rankin, The Suburban Book of the Dead