Re: Battat's hair; Prototheria

I _think_ that monotreme mothers exude milk only from their chests,
although they don't have specific breasts the way most mammals do.
The question, I guess, is one of definition: that Linnaeus named the
class Mammalia for breasts has less to do with who is related to whom
than with his desire to encourage human women to breast-feed. (I happen
to think this is a laudable desire, but it has nothing to do with
systematics.) One could just as legitimately argue that platypuses
have fur, therefore they are mammals.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr.uucp@murphy.com
New York, NY