bird hibernation

In case it's of any use to anyone's theories of survival/extinction:

A recent article in Bat Research News (of all places) discussed
short-term hibernation in whip-poor-wills.  (These are related to
nightjars, poor-wills, etc., but of these apparently only
whip-poor-wills can perform what we would call hibernation.)  Seems to
be semi-voluntary: they resist allowing body temp. to fall during
nesting season, when it could adversely affect offspring, but
hibernate occasionally during cold season.

If anyone wants details I can look up the ref.

Pat