Re: K/T Extinction & Birds

>1870's.   What else do we know about  birds immediately before and
>immediately after the K/T?  When did birds lose their teeth?  Or were there
>perhaps two seperate clads of birds, those with teeth and those without.?  If
>so, did any toothed birds survive the K/T?

As far as I know (and I can't for the life of me remember where I read
this), toothless birds had evolved before the end of the Cretaceous, but all
known bird fossils from the early Tertiary have teeth. It looks as though
this is a trait which evolved more than once.

James Shields  -  jshields@iol.ie  -  http://www.iol.ie/~jshields
And when the ark was finished Noah said unto Elvis, "What do you reckin?"
And Elvis checked out his own cabin and shook his head saying "poky".
And so did they knock several walls through and install a jaccuzzi.
And when it was all done Noah scratched his beard and said, "We don't have
room for all the animals now."
And Elvis perused the livestock list and in his wisdom said, "Lose the
dinosaurs."
        -Robert Rankin, The Suburban Book of the Dead