Re: Battat's hair; Prototheria

>Monotreme mommas make milk--how can they
>not be mammals?

You would have thought that any animal with mammary glands would have to be
mammals, wouldn't you? However the "official" definition has to do with the
shape of the jaw (someone posted it recently). I think that the reason milk
doesn't prove mammalness is that a lot of therapsids appear to have had
lips, implying that they suckled, implying that they were milk producers. I
think these are not considered to be mammals because they lack other major
characteristics of modern mammals.

Perhaps someone who has studied extinct mammals can cast some light on the
subject.

James Shields  -  jshields@iol.ie  -  http://www.iol.ie/~jshields
And when the ark was finished Noah said unto Elvis, "What do you reckin?"
And Elvis checked out his own cabin and shook his head saying "poky".
And so did they knock several walls through and install a jaccuzzi.
And when it was all done Noah scratched his beard and said, "We don't have
room for all the animals now."
And Elvis perused the livestock list and in his wisdom said, "Lose the
dinosaurs."
        -Robert Rankin, The Suburban Book of the Dead