Re: Archies in the Morrison?!

On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Phillip Bigelow wrote:

> Tom Holtz <tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov> wrote:
>
> >Actually, at least one definite dromaeosaurid (the outgroup to Archie +
> >Ornithurae) is known from ~130 Ma (i.e., Utahraptor) and fragments from the
>                                                           ^^^^^^^^^
> >Morrison Fm. which might be dromaeosaurid (or might be Archaeopteryx!) from
>                                                ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >the same age as Archie.
>
>   I for one would appreciate any additional information on this material.
> Such
> as when collected, what elements were found, where is it housed, is anyone
> studying it, etc.  Is it mostly scraps?
>
>   While we're back on the subject of Archie, does anyone know if there are
> Solenhoffen-type lithographic limestones of TRIASSIC age anywhere in the
> world?  By "Solenhoffen-type", I mean limy-mud bottom sediments in a
> warm-water protected barrier reef?
>   Certainly there must be at least ONE site somewhere.  If not Triassic,
> then how about Early Jurassic?

Tom -

        You read my mind!  I would _LOVE_ to find some nice lithographic
limestones of Late Triassic/Early Jurassic age somewhere!  And,if they
_don't_ exist anywhere, barring complete erosion, could anyone suggest a
reason why they _don't_ occur in those time periods?  (Barring lack of
exposure, too...)

Jerry D. Harris
Denver Museum of Natural History