Re: The Dinosaurs of Jurassic...

    Hi everyone,

    I don't have a copy of the schedule, but I can say that this is a
really cool thing to do.

    I had volunteered at it when it came to town and it was really fun.  I
had been asked to volunteer because I was a member of the
Dinosaur Society and I guess they gave out names and adresses of
members in the area.

    In any case, it's a lot of fun to work at it if it's coming to
someplace near you and you have the time.  Some of the tasks
aren't too, too fun (like handing out pamphlets), but others are, like
the artifact cart (should be fossil cart).  It is a small piece of cabinetry
with many plastic fossil replicas that people can touch and feel and
ask questions about (i.e. you have to know what your talking about to
some degree).  There are a couple of things that break easy like the
tips of claws and the Deinonychus foot.  By the way, the heavy
Maiasaura baby skull is made of plaster.  We (I) learned the hard
way.  This is by the way where the Madona incident occurred.

    One day I was worknig there and Ariana Richards (Lex from JP)
(Oh, I hope she's not the other "lurker," I know that Kevin Padian is
one of them) came to give a tour and promote some crappy
watercolors (some of them were ok).  Anyway, in the exhibit there
are many television monitors that play parts of the movie over and
over.  The one that was near the volunteer lounge is the one that was
by the Brachiosaur head and it replayed the "Veggie-saurus Lex,
Veggie-saurus" scene over and over (once every 17 seconds to be
exact).  Needless to say, it was a tad-bit annoying.  Anyway, when
she came she gave the tour (the volunteers made a habit of showing
her when she was wrong; which was a lot of the time) and I was
assigned at the time to hold the recycling box in peoples' ways so
that they would recycle their brochures when they left, on the other
side of a bulk-head from the _Brachiosaurus_ and the veggie-saurus
television.  So she gave her tour in the morning with not a lot of
people in the place and when she came to the Brachiosaur I just
screamed out "VEGGIE-SAURUS LEX, VEGGIE-SAURUS!!!!"  To
quote Tim, "It was great."  In case you haven't noticed, us volunteers
were a tad-bit annoyed.  We were planning on smashing that T.V.
when the exhibit was over, but that would not have been wise.  On
the upside, I can recite the Mr. DNA scene from memory.

    In any case, what I'm trying to say is, if it's coming to your city
and you have the time, volunteer there, it's really cool.

Peter Buchholz
Stang1996@aol.com

Overheard in The Dinosaurs of Jurassic Park while it was at The
Pacific Science Center in Seattle:

Volunteer (to a girl of about ten): "Hey, what do you think this is?"
(refering to a ten inch long, plastic replica of a T. rex tooth)

Girl: "I dunno... Maybe part of Madona's costume?"