some new refs: European dinos

Here are three new papers on European dinos (well, actually, one mentioned
by Ralph last week & two new):

Accarie, H., B. Beaudoin, J. Dejax, G. Fries, J.-G. Michard, and P. Taquet.
1995.  Decouverte d'un Dinosaure Theropode nouveau (Genusaurus sisteronis
n.g., n.sp.) dans l'Albien marine de Sisteron (Alpes de Haute-Provence,
=46rance) et extension au Cretace inferieur de la lignee ceratosaurienne.
Compte Rendus de l'Academie Science, Paris, serie IIa 320: 327-334.

[Sorry, Francophones, I can't do diacritical marks from this computer over
email!]

This paper describes a new small French theropod from the younger part of
the Early Cretaceous.  The most amazing thing about this paper is that it
was published in 1995!  None of the references are younger than _The
Dinosauria_ (1990), and so miss the advances from 1989 onward on ceratosaur
evolution by Rowe, Bonaparte, Novas, Coria, Salgado, Martinez, and others.
Specifically, they make a big deal about the discovery of an Early
Cretaceous ceratosaur, when Early (Carnotaurus) and Late (Abelisaurus,
Xenotarsosaurus, Indosaurus, Indosuchus, etc.) have been recognized for
years.  I suspect this paper was help up in press somewhere.

Incidentally, this little beastie is known only from a partial pelvis, a
complete femur, and partial tibia and fibula.

The following two are from the combined 26-27 volumes of Paleontologia i
Evolucio, which was printed in 1993, but which did not arrive at the USGS
until this year!  I don't think that these have been mentioned on
dinosaur-l before:

Casanovas-Cladellas, M.L., J.V. Santafe-Llopis, and A. Isidro-Llorens.
1993.  Pararhabdodon isonense n. gen. n. sp. (Dinosauria).  Estudio
morfologico, radio-tomografico y consideraciones biomecanicas.
Paleontologia i Evolucio 26-27: 121-131.

Pararhabdodon is the name these authors give to postcranial remains from
Spain, previous refered to as aff. Rhabdodon.  What they publish does look
a LOT like the well-known Late Cretaceous ornithopod Rhabdodon to me.

Pereda-Suberbiola, X.  1993.  Un dinosaure cuirasse (Ornithischia,
Ankylosauria) dans le Cretace superieur de La=F1o (Bassin Basco-Cantabrique)=
.
Paleontologia i Evolucio 26-27: 231-235.

[I tried to do the n-tilda in Lano - just a test of the diacritical marks.]

Xabier's got as much of an ankylosaur here as the previous authors do of
their "Pararhabdodon", but he doesn't give these a new name (nor assign
them to a previously-named taxon), pending further study.  These nodosaurid
fragments are from the very productive La=F1o locality in Basque country.
Material includes a maxilla, dentary, teeth, ulna, and scutes.

In the addendum, he states that addition material  is sufficient to refer
his "nodosaurid indet." to the well-known Struthiosaurus.

That's it for now.

                        =09
                 Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.                  Phone: 703-648-5280=09
                 Vertebrate Paleontologist         Fax:    703-648-5420
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov ------------>       th81@umail.umd.edu
U.S. Geological Survey          ------------->       University of Maryland
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy ---->       Department of Geology
MS 970 National Center