Re; Bakker

Boy do I feel like an old F--t.  I grew up in a place where a Mastodon tusk
and bones had been recovered from the dry lake bed.  When I was 5,  I
 "discovered"  a new fairy shrimp the first time we had significant rain.  I
just didn't write the monograph.  Desert Tortoises wandered in and out of the
back yard, no need to keep them as pets, another would be along soon.  Indian
"Petroglyphs" could be found in a red rock canyon about 20 miles north, along
with Piute arrow heads and spear points.  My dad was always finding and
hauling home another geode or old purple bottle or some other ancient scrap
of pioneer tack.  He kept his head down and always spotted the stuff before I
did.  In 1952 when I was 8, (you can do the arithmatic) I went to the movies
and saw "The Lost World" based on the novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  This
old B&W film with the jerky claymation T. rex and Triceratops scenes just
about made me do what the lawyer was doing in J P when Mr T. found him.  If
you get my drift.  After that I began  reading Doyle and more "adult" books.
  I discovered the work of Charles Knight, who drew some very agile and
active therapods. His leaping Dryptosaurus was done in 1897 after talking
with Cope himself.   I read stuff by and about Darwin, Huxley, John Muir,
Dahl, Steller, Cope, Marsh and Roy Chapman Andrews,  along with some Edgar
Rice Burroughs, Ray Bradbury and John Steinbeck thrown in for good measure.
 I visited the La Brea Tar Pits, the San Diego Zoo, Badwater and the top of
Mt Whitney.  It's been Natural History, including Dinosaurs and other
Paleomorphs ever since.  I still have a fabricated Metal Sculpture of
Triceratops that I did, with sprawling front legs, dated '84, two years
before Bob published "Dinosaur Heresies".  Bakker, Paul and Horner are the
new kids on the block, and their ideas about Dinosaurs are tremendously
exciting.  If Dr Bakker has managed to kick start the interest of you
"youngsters" out there by popularizing palentology, that's great.  That's
what Jacques Cousteau did for marine biology, although come to think of it, I
was sticking my face in the tide pools long before I ever heard of the French
Frogman too.      -     Finally, I can only hope that when my life is over,
someone will have enough grudging respect and fond affection for me, that
they will take my bones out to the Mojave and pour sand into my  bleached
skull.

Bill Hunt  -  Frustrated Marine Biologist  -  Happy Artist
2780 Chaparral Lane
Paso Robles,  CA  93446     -    805-237-0733
E-Mail   WillSculpt@aol.com

P.S.  Hey Raven Fans!  I am indeed fortunate to live in the Oak/Chaparral
habitat of central California, the home of the Yellow Billed Magpie.  This is
the only bird whose entire range lies within the state of California, whereas
the larger Black Billed Magpie can be seen throughout the west.  Magpies are
Ravens in Tuxedos, and very entertaining.  A Magpie died in the Oak next
door, and the body stayed up in the tree.  The others gathered around and
held a Magpie wake,  every few days,  for weeks,  months, almost a year
before they finally gave up.  They were inconsolable.