Re: Platypus a living fossil?

>I have not seen any (paleo- or neontological) systematics work which
>excludes monotremes from Mammalia.  If you have the ref, I'd be glad to
>take a look!

I don't have the specific ref. but this is the view held by Michael Archer
of the University of New South Wales.  See his article "Mammals
Eggstraordinaire" in the April 1994 issue of Natural History, in which he
writes "monotremes may either be long-lasting descendants of
eupantotheres... or mammallike reptiles that have independently acquired
mammalian hallmarks, such as three middle ear bones."
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2          Internet: ornstn@hookup.net
Office: 130 Adelaide Street W., Suite 1940
Toronto, Ontario Canada M5H 3P5