Re: Archies in the Morrison

Tom Holtz wrote:

>>>Actually, at least one definite dromaeosaurid (the outgroup to Archie +
>>>Ornithurae) is known from ~130 Ma (i.e., Utahraptor) and fragments from the
>>                                                          ^^^^^^^^^
>>>Morrison Fm. which might be dromaeosaurid (or might be Archaeopteryx!) from
>>                                               ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>the same age as Archie.
>>
>>  I for one would appreciate any additional information on this material.
>>Such
>>as when collected, what elements were found, where is it housed, is anyone
>>studying it, etc.  Is it mostly scraps?
>
>The ref is by Jensen & Padian (or Padian & Jensen), in Journal of
>Paleontology, & I don't know the year off hand (have moved all my JPs to my
>U Md office!).  It is from the Dry Mesa Quarry in Utah, I believe, which
>has also produced some giant sauropods & the type of Torvosaurus.  It is
>scraps.

Jensen, J.A. & Padian, J. (1989) Small pterosaurs and dinosaursfrom the
Uncompahgre fauna (Brushy Basin Member, Morrison Formation, ?Tithonian),
Late Jurassic, Western Colorado. Journal of Paleontology, 63(3) 364-373.

Discusses "avian proximal tibia" and " distal radius of a small
deinonychosaur or bird."

Chris

cnedin@geology.adelaide.edu.au,   nedin@ediacara.org
it was all downhill from there.