eggs 'n' things

I forwarded to Ken Carpenter some of the comments on live-bearing
vs. egg-laying in sauropods, and this is what he sent in response
(mildly edited by me):

  Pathological dinosaur eggshell indicate a reptilian mode of egg
  production (as stated in the Introduction to Eggs and Babies), thus
  egg laying was all at once as in extant reptiles, not one egg/day as
  in extant birds. The correlation between numbers of eggs and
  parental size is weak at best.  The suggestion by Roger Seymour that
  sauropods may have laid 100+ eggs has never been demonstrated in the
  fossil record.  French paleontologists at the Museum of Natural
  History in Le Havre (Cousin et al), excavated an alleged sauropod
  nesting site using standard archeological methods, but they failed
  to find clusters of 100 or more eggs.  They interpreted arcs of eggs
  as representing a circle nest, but other interpretations of their
  data is also possible, including straight rows.  The biggest
  constraint on clutch size is the oxygen requirement of the eggs. All
  of this is discussed in the book I'm currently writing.

Me again... A couple of things about the list.  First off, nobody
worry about the list going away in favor of a newsgroup.  We've
basically been down that road already.  I don't think that another
newsgroup could get created right now because the traffic in
sci.bio.paleontology isn't all that heavy, and what's there is mostly
dinosaur stuff anyways.  Furthermore, I know a lot of you want to keep
this list alive as it is, and I expect to be able to accommodate you
here for a good while longer...

Second, if you haven't noticed, the list has been pretty active of
late.  A few people have written to me trying to find ways to decrease
the volume.  Nobody has suggested telling people to shut up ;-) but a
couple of common sense netiquette guidelines could perhaps be
restated.  When you respond to a message, try to limit the amount of
previous text.  Summarize previous points if need be.  Also, try to
make sure that what you're writing to the list really is of general
interest (i.e. consider sending your message only to the person who
drew your response).  Finally, try to wade through everything you've
gotten before sending off any responses.  No sense repeating what
others have already said.

Ok, I'm going home now because I'm already missing the PBS show
Eyewitness.  This week's episode is: Dinosaurs.  Check your local
listings.  I'm not concerned about missing it now because here in
Philadelphia at least it should be rebroadcast Sunday at 7:30 PM.