Re: Archies in the Morrison?!

>>Actually, at least one definite dromaeosaurid (the outgroup to Archie +
>>Ornithurae) is known from ~130 Ma (i.e., Utahraptor) and fragments from the
>                                                          ^^^^^^^^^
>>Morrison Fm. which might be dromaeosaurid (or might be Archaeopteryx!) from
>                                               ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>the same age as Archie.
>
>  I for one would appreciate any additional information on this material.  Such
>as when collected, what elements were found, where is it housed, is anyone
>studying it, etc.  Is it mostly scraps?

The ref is by Jensen & Padian (or Padian & Jensen), in Journal of
Paleontology, & I don't know the year off hand (have moved all my JPs to my
U Md office!).  It is from the Dry Mesa Quarry in Utah, I believe, which
has also produced some giant sauropods & the type of Torvosaurus.  It is
scraps.

>  While we're back on the subject of Archie, does anyone know if there are
>Solenhoffen-type lithographic limestones of TRIASSIC age anywhere in the
>world?  By "Solenhoffen-type", I mean limy-mud bottom sediments in a
>warm-water protected barrier reef?
>  Certainly there must be at least ONE site somewhere.  If not Triassic,
>then how about Early Jurassic?

The term "lithographic limestone" is sufficient.  I don't know about any Tr
or EJ sites off hand.  There was a lithographic limestone conference in
Spain earlier this year (or maybe late last year).  When the extended
abstracts volume for that comes out, it should have the information you
need.

                 Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.                  Phone: 703-648-5280
                 Vertebrate Paleontologist         Fax:    703-648-5420
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov ------------>       th81@umail.umd.edu
U.S. Geological Survey          ------------->       University of Maryland
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy ---->       Department of Geology
MS 970 National Center