PETE! G. PAUL AND HIS SEGNOSAURS...

Gee Pete, won't ya just give us a bit more time? I'm onto Greg's therizinosaur
thoughts, you'll just have to be a little more patient. Actually, he doesn't
seem too fussed. Greg's stand (on all dinosaur phylogenetic hypotheses, not just
phytodinosaur-segnosaur stuff) is "I am no longer interested in resolving
dinosaur phylogenies... due to unresolvable data analysis problems". He doesn't
have plans to publish ANY work on dinosaur phylogeny. Besides, think about it
good and hard and you may well consider therizinosauroids-as-theropods in a
more favourable light. Besides, there were only ever 2 good arguments AGAINST
them being NOT theropodian;

1) They have a fully-developed 4th metatarsal
2) Their skull is quite unlike that of other theropods.

Well, 1) is now well established as a reversal (they do happen!), and 2) the
degree of 'unlikeness' here is superficial - don't derived characters definitely
prove theropodian affinities of therizinosauroids? See Dr. Holtz' recent
postings on this subject!

Personally, I like the idea of them being oviraptorosaurs NOW I know something
about it. The 'late surviving relatives of the prosauropod-ornithischian
transition' theory would call for an extremely long, as yet unknown (therefore
'ghost') lineage of prosauropod-ornithischian-like therizinosaur ancestors, and
I don't think that 'primitive' 'Triassic-grade' dinosaurs would hang around that
long against all other lineages. Kind of the thing that Chatterjee has
suggested. It makes more sense that therizinosaurs were part of the massive
coelurosaurian radiation that went underway in the Cretaceous, in which major
anatomical and behavioral diversification was generated amongst these theropods.
Is this the last word on this subject?

"Ha ha ha - - e - e - vil" - the black cat on last saturday's TakeOver TV

DARREN NAISH