Re: Battat's hair

On Sun, 11 Jun 1995, Derek Tearne wrote:

> >   2) why is it that all but 2 of all of the paleontologists I've ever seen,
> >in person or in pictures, has a beard?
>
> Does this include Mary Anning?
>

> Derek R. Tearne                 ----                  derek@iconz.co.nz
> <A HREF="http://webservices.comp.vuw.ac.nz/artsLink/ManyHands/";>Many Hands</A>
> Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
> consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
> "If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.

        Actually, the trend is reversing itself (???); I know _I_ don't
have a beard, and only two of the 6 paleontologists here have them.  I
know many others that don't have beards as well!  Bakker and Horner,
getting the most press of all we paleontologists, have somehow managed to
convince every member of the public that all paleontologists should be
unkempt, with that just-fresh-back-from-the-field look of overall
unruliness.  Lest ye stereotype, there are some paleontologists
which lean more towards the "yuppie" end of the spectrum, in terms of
personal presentation, and then those of us who are nicely in between...

        Historically, though, men of "position" were expected to have
beards (often, it appears, predating the "ZZ Top" style of beard
fashion!) as a sign of stature and intellect; hence, all the pictures of
classical American paleontologists with big, bushy beards.

Jerry D. Harris
Denver Museum of Natural History