Re: Jurassic Park

>       This may be a stupid question, but how did they get the extinct
>plants in Jurassic Park.  It doesn't explain it in the movie or in the
>book, so I was just wondering how they did it.  If anyone has any ideas,
>I'd really appreciate it.
>          Gina Scelso

Mr Rodriguez speculated that male mosquitos carried around sap, but it
would be much easier for scientists to clone leaves and vegetation trapped
in amber, than always go straight to mosquitos for the answer.

BTW, it has been always siad that there is never enough blood in mosquitos
to do much testing on them; what if a much bigger, new species
of blood-sucking giant horsefly was found in amber? That would give us a
lot more to work with.

Also, on the same chord, I recently heard Dr. Dave Grimaldi at AMNH was
warning people that intensive attempts to recover microorganisms, viruses
fungi, and bacteria from amber could be very dangerous.He notes that
ancient pathogens could, if released into the modern world, could wreak
havoc on modern day environments, and in our gene-grafting experiments,
the ancient patho's could be infused into modern-day bacteria.  This isn't
new to me; I wrote a story on a virus from a piece of amber last year,
before anything was ever thought about on the subject.

Anyways,

Ciao!

Ben...

--