Re: eastern us dinos (2nd attempt)

>Wednesday, during the umpteenth repeat of Paleoworld, it was mentioned
>that the US was split by a sea during the cretaceous. While the show was
>about T rex, I wondered who the big predators of the eastern US were
>during that time. I realize fossils from the east coast are relatively
>scarce, but could rex or his kin (Albertosaurus perhaps) have been on the
>top of the food chain in the east during that time? Along those lines,
>are there books specifically dealing with eastern US dinos of any period?

Answering the second question first, there is a book being written about
all eastern U.S. dinosaurs, but I don't know when it comes out.

There are very fragmentary remains (and one fairly good, but undescribed)
skeletons of tyrannosaurids in the eastern U.S.  Our neck of the woods was
also home to Dryptosaurus aquilunguis, a large, powerfully clawed
coelurosaur and the first good theropod postcrania found in North America.

                 Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.                  Phone: 703-648-5280
                 Vertebrate Paleontologist         Fax:    703-648-5420
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov ------------>       th81@umail.umd.edu
U.S. Geological Survey          ------------->       University of Maryland
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy ---->       Department of Geology
MS 970 National Center