Re: Kronosaurus

>Dear Mesozoic Matt --
>Kronosaurus was the largest (50 or 60  feet, I think) of the
>pliosaurs (plesiosaurs' short-necked relatives)--A creature of
>considerable fearsomeness, but hardly Utahraptor material! :)

Matt, Matt, Matt, get off the Utahraptor kick.  Okay, so it is particularly
large dromaeosaurid, but probably only abou 500-700 kg (Dilophosaurus
size).  Pound for pound, it might have have been more nasty than a
tyrannosaurid or Kronosaurus, but the latter too have a LOT more pounds!

                 Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.                  Phone: 703-648-5280
                 Vertebrate Paleontologist         Fax:    703-648-5420
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov ------------>       th81@umail.umd.edu
U.S. Geological Survey          ------------->       University of Maryland
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy ---->       Department of Geology
MS 970 National Center