Re: Response to Coleman

Involving the 'hot Moa debate'.

Mark? (everything appears to be from Terry Colvin) wrote, referring
to comments by Loren.

> However, and this is the main point that I wish to make in this post (and the
> raison d'etre for it)--is my belief that engaging in debates is far from
> counterproductive. If you are being honest and you do not wish to engage in
> debate, then what was going on vis a vis the Moa controversy? Weren't you
> debating the other fellow when I entered the discussion? I thought that
> alt.misc.forteana existed largely to allow serious debate and discussion of
> controversial issues! If someone is not engaging in rational discussion of
> the facts, then I can understand how debating such an individual could be a
> waste of time, but I would suggest that I have raised serious and substantial
> issues. You certainly have no obligation to answer any post, but if you
> debate someone on-line and criticize them, as in the Moa  posts, then you
> must be prepared to follow-through with the discussion. If you can't stand
> the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I would like to point out that, from my point of view the events weren't
one of debating.  I responded to a post about Moa jokes which I
read via the dinosaur mailing list.  I mentioned Paddy not to start a
debate, but to give a little background into why there were so
man current 'Moa jokes'.

I responded to what appeared to be personal e-mail asking for more
information about Paddy.  The next thing I know this personal e-mail
appears and for the first time it is clearly cross-posted to the
Forteana list.

Loren has wondered why I appeared so upset and has indeed apologised.

I find that my private comments, which were categorically not
posted to the forteana list, are not only considered 'debate' but
are being 'criticised' for my position on the issue.

I don't personally consider this the technique of debating.

> Now can we get back to the facts of the case? And perhaps from here
> on out we can keep private email and personal discussions private
> and off of alt.misc.forteana.

Indeed.

---
Derek Tearne  -  http://webservices.comp.vuw.ac.nz/artsLink/ManyHands/
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.