Re: Will the real Tanystropheus please stand up?!

>From: DAVEH47@delphi.com
 >
 > I've heard recent talk here about that long-necked fish-eater
 > Tanystropheus, and I wondered if anyone could tell me that
 > creature's true identity.  I have in the past seen it classified
 > as a true lizard, an eosuchian, a primitive Euryapsid, and most
 > recently as an "archosauromorph", a group of "uncles" to the
 > archosaus that seems to consist solely of Tanystropheus and the
 > rhyncosaurs (which I had always heard before were related to the
 > Tuatara).

It is certainly NOT a true lizard.  Beyond that, it has been
difficult to place properly.  I think it is now considered
an archosauromorph, as you say.

The rhynchosaurs are a seperate group from the rhynchocephalians
(the order containing the tuatara), and are indeed archosauromorphs.
[They are also *very* strange animals indeed].

The peace of God be with you.