CASSOWARIES II

THIS IS A CONTINUATION. FORGIVE ME..

I forgot another interesting little snippet. Here we go.

Surprisingly, European scientists knew of Cs long before they knew of emus. A
live specimen (a C that is) was bought to Europe around 1694, consequently all
the taxa names for the C-emu clade give Cs priority (I'd always wondered about
that before I knew this). In fact, Cs were so much better known than emus that
emus were actually called 'New Holland cassowaries' till late into the last
century.

New Guinea natives used to hunt and catch Moruks. Some sources say that the
animals were kept caged until big enough for eating, while others say that they
were even treated as 'pets' (I hope they clipped those claws if this is true).
Apparently, people there still catch juvenile Cs during the imprinting stage of
the bird's life. It then follows 'dad' around till he decides it's big enough
to make a fair-sized meal. Poor C.

One last thing.. I am terrified at the prospect of someone naming an
ornithomimid 'Casuarimimus'. Possibly it is only a matter of time - let us se
that it never becomes a reality!

"Your taun-taun'll freeze before you reach the first marker!"  "Then I'll see
you in hell.. hiyaa!"

DARREN NAISH