Re: T. REX cf. BROOKSIA

> Sounds enigmatic? This isn't a bash at T. rex name priority (subject
> implies..).... IT'S ABOUT JURASSIC PARK.
>
>Sorry to drag the JP gliches from the grave (or should I say Death Assemblage.
>yurk yurk yurk) again, but something is bothering me (still).
>
>It's the colour on the T. rex in JP. She seems to change. Chameleons can
>do this

> Hang on? Grey? Brown? I can't believe it's down to lighting. Elephants never
> appear brown, nor do okapis (or any other big, brown animal you can think of)
> ever appear grey. So what's going on?

I take it Darren, that you have never seen either Elephants or
Okapi in their natural habitat.  Or a jersey cow by moonlight for that
matter.

Light brown is not at all an unusual colour for an elephant to be.  Red
is available also depending on the part of Africa and the season.

A good dose of rain can change a brown or red elephant to a grey one
quite effectively and rapidly.

Okapi, in the mornings, are effectively invisible.

The robot 'Rex' is the one used in the storm scene.  Humans tend to lose
their colour vision in low light, which would make a grey dinosaur not
entirely surprising in poor light during a rain storm.

Incidentally I have photographic evidence of light brown elephants, grey
elephants, half brown - half grey elephants and effectively invisible
Okapi's - in their natural habitat (OK so the Okapi was actually in
a fenced off bit of jungle but there you go).

Derek "Jersey Cows by moonlight?  I, er, destroyed the negatives <ahem>" Tearne

---
Derek Tearne  -  http://webservices.comp.vuw.ac.nz/artsLink/ManyHands/
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.