Re: T. REX cf. BROOKSIA

[observations on changing color deleted]

>Hang on? Grey? Brown? I can't believe it's down to lighting. Elephants never
>appear brown, nor do okapis (or any other big, brown animal you can think of)
>ever appear grey. So what's going on?

Okapis have dense fur, and elephants have isolated hair and naked skin.
Tyrannosaurs (and all other dinosaurs) had either scales (definitely) or
feathers (not yet demonstrated, but I'd buy it for advanced coelurosaurs,
at least as juveniles).  Scales have iridescent properties which fur or
skin do not.

[Okay, the real reason is probably a continuity error.]

                 Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.                  Phone: 703-648-5280
                 Vertebrate Paleontologist         Fax:    703-648-5420
tholtz@geochange.er.usgs.gov ------------>       th81@umail.umd.edu
U.S. Geological Survey          ------------->       University of Maryland
Branch of Paleontology & Stratigraphy ---->       Department of Geology
MS 970 National Center