Re: THERIZINOSAUROIDS

At 8:45 AM 6/7/95, D.W.Naish wrote:
>Tom Holtz mentioned suggestions that therizinosauroids were oviraptorid
>relatives. Can we read about this suggestion anywhere? Please give source.
>
>I haven't yet seen the Alxasaurus paper (Canadian Jour. Earth Sci. yes?), and,
>at present, have difficulty comprehending them as theropods. Please feel free
>to send me a copy of the Alxasaurus paper - I need converting! The idea still
>seems really weird, I was happier with arguments for sauropodomorph affinities.
>Still, my problem.

        The two papers are one and the same.  The ref is:

Russell, D. A., and Dong, Z.  (1993).  "The affinities of a new theropod
from the Alxa Desert, Inner Monbolia,
        People's Repulic of China," _Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences_
30(10-11):  2107-2127.

Actually, for anyone who wants it, the entire issue (the sequel is due out
soon!) is available from the CJES for $19 with a check made out to
"Receiver General for Canada, credit NRC"  sent to:

        Subscriptions Office, Building M-55
        Research Journals
        National Research Council Canada
        Ottowa,  ON  k1A 0R6
        Canada

Request the specific issue (the October-November '93 issue).  It's also got
the formal descriptions of _Monolophosaurus_, _Sinraptor_,
_Sinornithoides_, and _Caenagnathasia_ as well as articles on
_Mamnchisaurus_, _Wuerhosaurus_, and _Protoceratops_, plus articles on
Mongolian Cretaceous turtles and, of course, stratigraphy.  Well worth the
price, IMHO.

Jerry D. Harris
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO  80205
(303) 370-6403
Internet:  jdharris@teal.csn.net
CompuServe:  73132,3372

Overheard in the Denver Museum's
old Fossil Mammal Hall, from a mother
to her daugher:

"See there?  That's the camel-dinosaur, and
the horse-dinosaur, and the elephant-dinosaur..."