Re: Travelling Chinese exhibit

On Tue, 6 Jun 1995, Randy King, go player and all-around swell guy! wrote:

> Does anyone know the schedule of this exhibit - towns and regions?  I'd
> like to know when and where to find it in the northwest.

If you are talking about the Canadian-Chinese "Dinosaur Project", it is
currently on display at the Pacific National Exposition in Vancouver,
BC and is there until September sometime I believe,
although the promo thingy I picked up on it doesn't indicate an exact
close date. It only opened Saturday, so I suspect it will be there for
quite some time still.

Brief mini-review:
Largely aimed at the younger set, it does manage to avoid excessive hype
and cutism, getting moat of it over with in the first few minutes via a
short video intro to the Tour and bringing in their mascot.
The display is about 70% casts and molds with real skeletons in the minority.

Highlights:
Cast setting showing a group of young Pinacosaurs(ankylosaurids) found
together. There were theorizations and speculations put forward that they
were killed in a sandstorm or when a dune shifted and collapsed on them
rapidly. These casts were about 4 ft. long head to tail.

Skeletons/casts present:
-Therizinosaurus
-Sinornithoides Youngi
-Sinraptor
-Gobisaurus

I took about 2 hours to go through. While this wasn't a whirlwind tour,
its about as fast as I would want to take it to absorb everything.
Another hour would have been nice. For schoo field trips, I'd say its
easily a half-day/day excursion depending on what other support material
you'd have around the visit.

They had some trays and tools out for you to practice excavating and
digging out things from matrix. I skipped this and instead spent most of
my time grilling the student staffers who were quite helpful and took a
good chunk of time to talk to me even though they were in various stages
of cast-making or  extraction and preparation. Some were doing it as just
a cool summer job and others were paleo/archaeo students bridging time
between their bachelors' and grad school in the fall.

If there was one thing I could fault it on, it would be the relative
paucity of information about each display. Usually they were accompanied
by a placard stating name, location of excavation/discovery, approx. age
and maybe a few footnotes on relatives. As it appears that a lot of these
are relatively new specimens, I'm willing to chalk some of that up to
just not having had enough time to work with them or insufficient
evidence, etc. etc.

Please note that my paleo knowledge is only now going through its
renaissance some 20 or so years after the usual childhood obsession, so
misinterpretations or lack of observations of certain things are quite
possible.

I breezed through the gift shop on the way out and pretty much breezed
out 'cause the prices were quite high. There is obviously a fairly hefty
"donation" calculated in here and they didn't really have much that
really caught my eye.

I took notes on my HP100LX palmtop computer, so expect a load of
questions in the next couple days about some of the things I saw there. :)

----Steve