Re: Running dinos

Jeff Poling wrote:

>   For the last several days I've been trying to remember a lecture on
>evidence for dino speed.
>
>   There was some mention of muscle attachment points being a clue.
>Unfortunately, I can't remember what muscle attachment said about speed.
>
>   Where did theropod muscles attach (relative to hip socket) and why is
>this an indication of speed?

A good starting point for info on dino running and speed calculations are:

McNeill, A.R. (1991) How dinosaurs ran. Scientific American, April, 62-91

Thulborn, T. (1990) Dinosaur Tracks. Chapman & Hall, London. 410pp.

Chris

cnedin@geology.adelaide.edu.au,   nedin@ediacara.org
it was all downhill from there.