Re: Rank taxonomy (was Re: Cladism (akin to masochism))

>>   Cool.  Now the question is, are the names just put into a list?  I.e. you
>>just have a column of names going from the species all the way back to that
>>first blue-green algae?
>>
>>    Deinonychus
>>    Deinonychosauria
>>    Maniraptora
>>    Coelurosauria
>>    Tetanurae
>>    Theropoda
>>    etc.
>>
>>    is going to be damn difficult to represent in a relational database......
>
>Actually its fairly easy. Ages ago (before I knew anything about
>cladistics), I started to set up a database of dinosaur clasifications.
>
>I started out setting up by tables for class, subclass, order, suborder,
>infraorder, etc. This quickly became unworkable as new levels kept
>appearing, while there were lots of species which skipped levels.
>
>I then redesigned the database to just use one table which was something like:
>
>                +---------------+
>                | Node No       |<--+
>                | Name          |   |
>                | Level         |   |
>                | Parent No     |---+
>                | (other fields |
>                +---------------+
>
>This was using linnean taxonomy so the level field would contain "class",
>"order" or whatever. By the sound of things, this field could be left out in
>a caldistic database.
>
>I'm not sure if the above is very coherent (its very late and I should be in
>bed), so I'll give an example of your dinosaur (throwing in one or two extra
>nodes).
>
>        Node No         Name                    Parent No
>        1               Dinosauria              NULL
>        2               Saurischia              1
>        3               Ornithaschia            1
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Oh no, another name change!!!!

>        4               Theropoda               2
>        5               Saurapodamorpha         2
>        6               Tetanurae               4
>        7               Coelurosauria           6
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Anybody wanna guess why _the Dinosauria_ lists no species for the
Coelurosauria except those that are Theropoda incertae sedis?  Am I missing
a clade somewhere?

>        8               Maniraptora             7
>        9               Deinonychosauria        8
>        10              Deinonychus             9
>        11              Dromaeosaurus           9
>
>Please forgive any spelling (or other) mistakes. As I say, its late.

   Hrmm....that may be workable at that.  Gotta think about it.....

   Ain't college great.  I just learned relational databases eight weeks
ago, started teaching it four weeks ago, and started using it one week ago.

   One other problem that faces me, though, is how I'm going to represent
the clades on the little-bitty cards I display with my dino toys.......

** "A warp core breach is imminent?     ** "Those who trade a little freedom **
** This calls for the handyman's secret ** for a little security will soon   **
** weapon, duct tape." --- Red Green,   ** find that they have none of       **
** Chief Engineer, U.S.S. Voyager       ** either." --- Jeff Poling          **