RE: birds are reptiles?!

I agree with Colin McHenry (read below) in that continual useage of the term
REPTILE is very confusing to the public and to students.   We should stop
using it, and start using AMNIOTE for the inclusive superclass, and then
more appropriate names for the member groups  (Synapsida, Anapsida,
Diapsida, etc.)

Scott Moody, Ohio Univ. Vertebrate Collection     Moody@mail.oucom.ohiou.edu

below is reprinted from earlier message:

So what exactly is a reptile?  Phylogentically, either nothing, or all
amniotes.  So reptile = amniote.  Of the two words, the latter is far
more precise in definition and usage.  So can we please forget the former,
or at least remember it as an old but inaccurate (phylogenetically speaking)

description of some amniotic tetrapods, and not use it in day to day
parlance amongst people who understand perfectly well what an amniote is?

Colin McHenry

another day in the swamp