Re: languages

>From: jshields@iol.ie (James Shields)
 >
 > Just out of interest, why are modern animals named in Latin while dinosaurs
 > (and a few other groups I can think of) are named in greek.

Actually, this is just an illusion.
Both Greek and Latin are used for both living and extinct forms.
For instance, Avimimus is Latin.  Some names are mixed Greek and
Latin.

 >  Is it a case of
 > living creatures in Latin, extinct in greek or is there some other rule, or
 > is it just the way it happened?

The rule is simple, the name must be Latin, or made to sound as if
it were Latin.  Thus, a Greek masculine noun ending in -os is changed
to end in -us when used as a scientific name.

The peace of God be with you.