PBS (OR WHATEVER?) CERATOPSIAN WITH NASAL HORN..

I understand that there's a  bit of confusion around the ceratopsian with the
massive nasal horn featured in a cartoon bit of that dinosaur series. I think
you yanks called it the PBS series, or something. Obviously not having a clue
what PBS is (OK, so it's a TV station), we refer to these programmes as
'Dinosaur Footprints'. Whether that was the official name of the series, or just
one they made up for screening over here, I don't know. Anyway..

The ceratopsian with the massive nasal horn IS Pachyrhinosaurus. At the time the
programme was made, they weren't blessed with the knowledge we presently are
that Pachy's nasal boss actually is it's nasal horn - kind of thickened and
ingrown, yes? Before this discovery, it was said that there were two options
when illustrating Pachyrhinos. They could be given the blunt 'boss' that we now
know they had (check out Sibbick's restorations in the NG poster), or they could
be given a big, 'dermal' horn, perhaps made of keratin, that sat atop the boss.
Phil Currie considered this latter option in 'The Great Dinosaurs', thus Jan
Sovak illustrated it thataway in said book, and Bob Bakker endorsed this
interpretation for illustrations by Pat Ortega (or Redman? I can never which)
and also the pictures for the TV series, which you call the PBS series, or
whatever. All the illustrations - the colours, the behaviour, even the sound-
effects, were down to advice given by Bob Bakker in that series. So there you
go - yes, the big-horned ceratopsian is Pachyrhinosaurus, just an older
interpretation (and one deemed likely at the time). Hope that clears it up..

I understand that the central 'unicorn' spike in Pacyrhinosaurus is more a kind
of individualistic feature, and not found throughout all adults. Perhaps it was
related to age, status or sex.

DARREN "It's 15:00 and I'm supposed to be on my way home to get to work on time,
hence no time to think about quotes" NAISH