Re: Mystery Ceratopsian

On Fri, 2 Jun 1995 DAVEH47@delphi.com wrote:

> In the PBS series "The Dinosaurs" there is a scene where
> they show an animation of a strange ceratopsian a bit like
> Pachyrhinosaurus but with a single, huge horn nearly as
> massive as the rest of its head!  I can find no reference
> to this creature in any book of dinosaurs, and I wondered
> if anyone knew what genus this dinosaur is?

It is Pachyrhinosaurus...the massive horn is, I believe, the artist's
interpretation of the large nasal boss.  I think Tanke suggested some
time ago that there was two morphs found in Pachyrhinosaurus.  Convex
nasal boss (male?) and concave  (female?).  My question is...where is the
single midline neck frill horn?

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu)