Re: Theropod traps

Aaron wrote:-

>     Could it be possible that there was no tar back in the Mesozoic?
> Does anyone know the age and origin of the oil sepage that formed the tar
> of the known tar pits?

The famous MacAdam of the tar used tar of Carboniferous age in his
buisness to cover all roads with the stuff.  His company was
originally based in Kaimes, near Muirkirk, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
The company is of course 'Tar MacAdam'  which gave its name to
'tarmac' and the like.  There is a memorial in Kaimes to MacAdam and
I do a pilgrimage nearly every year to the shrine.

So, yes, there was definitely tar in the Mesozoic and before.  I have
found bitumen in Ordovician rocks too which results, presumably, from
the degradation of marine organic material.

Neil

Neil Clark
Curator of Palaeontology
Hunterian Museum
University of Glasgow
GLASGOW
G12 8QQ
Scotland/UK
email: NCLARK@museum.gla.ac.uk

'Man must surely have become an immensely worse animal
than his teeth show him to have been designed for'
Hugh Miller (Cruise of the Betsey - 1858)