Re: Time Space and Matter -2

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995 STEVEN9120@aol.com wrote:

> First allow me to reassure my fellow list members that these questions are
> not delving into the areas of quantum physics, nor are we dealing with the
> time/space continuum. I took my family to the newly opened exhibit, at the
> Museum of Natural History, in NYC this past Sunday, it was interesting but
> one thing puzzled me and I figured I ask this forum.
>               The large carnivorous dinosaurs, like T-Rex, Tabosaurus,
> Daspletosaurus, even spinosaurs were as we know rather large in height and
> mass. Now if one of these preadators came across a triceratops, or a
> pachyrhinosaurus the size of these creatures alone would be a meal in itself.
> Question: How much could a large Carnivor consume, in the course of a day?
> Now I know there is really no way to check the daily intake of one of these
> creatures, but a best guess will do.

 Steven9120,
        Here's a past post that should answer the first question
       It was posted a while ago.
//On Sat,18 Mar 1995  STANG1996@aol.com wrote:

//< This is from Greg Paul's Predatory Dinosaurs of the World.I hope it
helps you:

//<< Assuming that dinosaurs were avian-mammalian-level endothermic
//homeotherms
//as argued in Chapter 7[you'll have to get the book to read that], and
//having a calculator capable of handling exponents on hand,we can
//calculate the various aspects of their energetics. Most important is
//the metabloic rate, or the calories burned over time. Standard metabolic
//rate is the energy consumption when resting. But we are more interested in
the
//animals when they are active, and the metabolic rates are usually twice
//as high. the equation for calculating active metabolic rates for
//endotherms is;

//      M=140(W)^0.75

//Where M is kcal burned per day, and W is the mass in kilograms. One
//thing you should be aware of is that the "calorie" that you guide your diet
by is
//really a kilocalorie; the food industry thought it sounded better to
//drop the thousand prefix.........So we can calculate that an 8 [metric]
//tonne _Tyrannosaurus rex_ burns 120,000 kcal/day...>>

//Later on he writes:

//<<the equation for calculating food cosumption for endothermic
//predators is:

//      F=0.11(W)^.75

//where F is the kilograms of wet meat needed each day......Now let's get
//down to real business. On average, an 8 [metric] tonne _Tyrannosaurus
//rex_ must bolt down some 93 kilograms of meat per day, or some 2000
//tonnes in a sixty year life,equal to the weight of a World War II
//destroyer!>>

 >                    Sauropods like
Diplodocus and Brontosaurus who seem to
> look like there a rather slow moving creature, because of their size, may
> have been agile enough to protect themselves Second Question: If a large
> preadator like Allosaurus attacked one of these Sauropod dinosaurs other than
> their tails how could they protect themselves?
              Most sauropods have a claw on digit #1 of the front feet.
The Diplocids have a bit more robust claw.There are claws on digits #1-#4
on the hind feet. The first narrow claw of the hind feet is suspected to
be used in self-defense. The Camarasaurus, Haplocanthosaurus,and related
species have very sturdy teeth(unlike the Diplodocids). They are
suspected to have been able to bite alot harder than an Allosaurus, so
therefore it is suspected that they used biting as a defense. I wonder
myself if a sauropod could or would use their own body as a "battering-ram"
or just trample an unsuspecting Allosaur, Picturing these defenses concludes
me to think that Allosaurs, Tyrannosaurids, and many other 'Carnosaurs'
travelled
in at least pairs(IMHO). OK I've gotta question, are there any
skeletons of Allosaur that could have possibly been trampled?

                   Third and final Question: Have there ever been multiple
> teeth marks on fossil bones on any creature to indicate that there might have
> been more than one type of Carnivor, at the kill at the same time? At a kill
> of a large sauropod, like a" brontosaurus", could different species, like
> large and small carnivors gotten together like "sharks" at a feeding frenzy?
  This question would be a very difficult to prove, because an
Apatosaurus carcass would probably lie around for a little bit. Could
someone else attempt to answer this one?

Aaron Feuk
Preparator on Summer Break, Dept. of Earth Sciences
Pacific Lutheran University
Tacoma, Wa,98447