Re: Upright bipedalism in dinos

> There is one group of birds which is somewhat exceptional in both regards:
> the penguins.  Their stance has changed to a far more vertical, erect
> posture, more like that of hominids than that of any other dinos or birds
> that I can think of.  However, although they are capable of erect walking,
> they also propel themselves on their bellies in a modified quadrupedal manner
> on ice (or is this better described as non-pedal locomotion?), and of course
> swim horizontally in a manner which to my way of thinking could be called
> quadrupedal (although swimming is clearly a special case of locomotion).
>
> My question:  are there any known fossil dinos which may have had an erect
> posture similar to that of the penguins?  The secondary question would be:
> are there any other birds (ancient or modern, other than those leading to the
> penguin line) which show similar adaptations (primarily erect posture, but
> also horizontal/quadrupedal locomotion)?

Penquins have the nearly vertical posture due to its body shape adapted
for the cold weather (surface area) and adapted from its marine habitat.

I know of no non-avian Dinosaur which fits this adaptation but the diver
bird Hesperornis is close.  But Hesperornis body plan is a result of its
marine habitat not temperature requirements.

---John Schneiderman (dino@revelation.unomaha.edu) "dinophile"